The journal welcomes manuscripts that describe the manipulation, optimization and application of biological molecules, processes or organisms. Submissions are encouraged on topics that have an application either in research or in industry.
The journal welcomes manuscripts in the following broad sub-topics of biotechnology.
- Applied immunology
- Cellular, tissue and whole organism biotechnology
- Drug discovery and delivery
- Environmental biotechnology
- Food and nutritional biotechnology
- Genetic engineering
- Mathematical modeling and biostatistics
- Methods and technological advances
- Microbial biotechnology
- Plant and agricultural biotechnology
- Systems and synthetic biology
BMC Biotechnology does not make editorial decisions on the basis of the interest of a study or its likely impact. Studies must be scientifically valid; for research articles this includes a scientifically sound research question, the use of suitable methods and analysis, and following community-agreed standards relevant to the research field. Specific criteria for other article types can be found in the submission guidelines.