The journal welcomes manuscripts that describe the manipulation, optimization and application of biological molecules, processes or organisms. Submissions are encouraged on topics that have an application either in research or in industry.
The journal welcomes manuscripts in the following broad sub-topics of biotechnology.
- Applied immunology including studies on antibody engineering; antibodies in diagnostics, therapy and research; and use in optimization of vaccines and more.
- Cellular, tissue and whole organism biotechnology including studies on cell and tissue engineering, including stem cell engineering and reprogramming and protein and enzyme modulations and gene therapy. It also includes cell culture methods and bioproduction in cells.
- Drug discovery and delivery including studies on drug discovery, targeting, delivery and testing with an emphasis on manipulation of cellular processes among others.
- Environmental biotechnology including studies on manipulation and optimization of processes that have environmental impact such as wastewater treatment, removal of pollution, renewable energy generation or biomass production or similar, by exploiting biological processes towards sustainable development.
- Food and nutritional biotechnology including studies on use of microbes or plants in the food industry in both small and large-scale productions. Keywords to look out for include probiotics, GMOs, fermentation for better wine and more.
- Genetic engineering including studies on recombinant DNA technology, RNAi technology, CRISPR technology, transgenic technology, expression systems, DNA transfer methods and vectors, and knock-downs/knock-out systems of gene regulations and other similar studies.
- Mathematical modeling and biostatistics including studies on computational/mathematical modelling of cellular and biological processes in our understanding of life and disease
- Methods and technological advances in biotechnology including studies that creates, optimizes and expands methods broadening or bettering its use either in research or industry
- Microbial biotechnology including studies on bacteria and yeasts: genetic manipulation, bioproduction, fermentation, metabolic engineering and downstream processing, bioremediation and biodegradation, fermentation, metabolic engineering, biocatalysis and biofilms, and also in environmental applications among other uses and applications.
- Plant and agricultural biotechnology including studies on generation, use and application of transgenic plants and techniques of plant-breeding in agriculture and commercial use including in processes like bioproduction, biosafety, phytoremediation and biofuels, manipulation of plants or pathogens that confer a further disease resistance.
- Systems and synthetic biology with studies on synthetic biology with is the design and fabrication of biological components and systems biology which covers the theoretical and experimental analysis of biological systems, network modelling, quantitative analyses and integration of different levels of information and bio-engineering
If the manuscript is rather about downstream molecular pathways following manipulation, or optimization then please consider one of our sister journals like BMC Molecular and Cell Biology, BMC Plant Biology, BMC Microbiology or BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology, depending on the subject of your manuscript.
BMC Biotechnology does not make editorial decisions on the basis of the interest of a study or its likely impact. Studies must be scientifically valid; for research articles this includes a scientifically sound research question, the use of suitable methods and analysis, and following community-agreed standards relevant to the research field. Specific criteria for other article types can be found in the submission guidelines.